Monday, November 28, 2016

Feminism

As someone who considers herself outside this debate in France over burkini's I can't help but wonder if those leading the fight against them realize how paranoid they look. The clothing of someone does not make them a terrorist. Women should be allowed to enjoy themselves at the beach dressed in whatever makes them feel more comfortable. How ironic that a group of people feel more comfortable forcing women to be almost naked. As someone who is also concerned about modesty, I find the idea of being required to wear a bikini awful and humiliating. It's like saying I'm not smart enough to make my own clothing choices, to choose how I treat my body. It makes me want to shake my fist in the face of patriarchal society. I think this case is a clear example of what happens when people let fear get the best of them. Their fear is understandable in France. They have had several tragedies in the last few years. But saying that all Muslims are potential terrorists is like saying all French are snobs or all Americans are fat. It's unjustified and unfair. How can this be so clear about about one group, but so fuzzy about another? I don't understand it, no matter how I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment