Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Adv Studio Methods Reading Thoughts

"Graphic Novels as Contemporary Art?"
I love the idea of students creating a graphic novel together. It would be something that could get students really engaged and excited about problem solving and working together. I feel like this wouldn't work with all classes though. I'm not sure how I would be able to help students be motivated to work on this kind of project together if they don't have the initial excitement. And how could a teacher help students stay excited through the semester? It's hard even as a college student to stay motivated with longer projects sometimes.

"How the Teaching Artists Can Change the Dynamics of Teaching and Learning"
Keith Williams is one of those art teachers I think every art teacher aspires to be. Hearing stories like his about how excited the students are gets me excited to teach. While I don't plan on having a classroom like Williams, I do want to find ways to help my students be enthusiastic about making. I'm trying to make lesson plans that will help with this, but I also think it is something that comes with experience and getting to know students.

"Engaging Minds"
I had never thought of copying in quite this way before. I really liked the chapter excerpt and would have liked to have read more. It makes me want to experiment with this myself and in a classroom. I have applied this kind of theory to my musical practice but I haven't done it as thoroughly with art making. In a classroom though I would have to find the balance so that I didn't spent too much time repeating things so that students grew bored. I would have to allow them time to experiment and try their own things. This is the one thing I really wish I had had more opportunities for in my art classes when I was younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment