Monday, March 13, 2017

Olivia Gude Response

While reading Gude's articles a few things stood out to me. One of the things that caught my eye was when she said "white people don't know their own culture". I think this statement has a lot of truth to it. Often I have looked at white culture as the absence of things I see in other cultures. After taking multi cultural education I am less this way, but I think it is true that white people are unaware of their own culture. We see it as 'normal', which is not true.
I also really liked what was said in another article that creativity is fostered by psychological safety and freedom. So in other words, students will feel that they can be creative when they feel like it is a safe environment and that they have the freedom to do so. I think a hard thing as an art teacher will be getting kids to stop worrying about what is the 'right' way to do something or trying to make sure they fulfill the assignment. Schools are set up so that this becomes the focus of student's learning. They want to get the good grade and that means doing everything the right way. I'm not entirely sure how to help students let go of this idea in my classroom. It might just be practice over time. Or seeing me work on projects and make mistakes along side them might help too. It's hard to say without having taught yet, but its something I want to make sure and be aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment