Monday, January 30, 2017

ARTED 450 Teaching Artists Handbook ch 1

I feel like the way I want to teach is in direct correlation with what I am making. A lot of what I make right now is about experimenting with new mediums or techniques. I am very interested in trying to make a piece that feels busy or chaotic but is still balanced and not overwhelming in a bad way. I find that the more I think about how I want to teach, the more I want my students to have lots of room to rove and explore. I want students to be able to try a huge range of materials and play with ideas. I hope to build a curriculum that is just barely structured enough. I look back at my own art making in high school and I was just fulfilling assignments. Even here at BYU I have done that. So I want to create curriculum that catches students interest because it is relevant to their lives, either because it is based on local events or relates to their stage of life, that also forces students to come up with their own thoughts. In my own work I don't really care if I have a well crafted piece at the end as long as I tried something new and learned something, and I want my students to be able to develop a similar mentality.

No comments:

Post a Comment