Monday, January 30, 2017

ARTED 478 Chapter 4

I was really hit by how the art teachers in this chapter studied art pieces or artists that were local. I feel like this helped to make the situation more real and relevant for the students. And it provides possible opportunities to visit museums or work with people who know/knew the artist. This helps art move from this broad, abstract idea to something more tangible for students. I would really like to be able to use local artists in this way.
I also liked how the teachers went beyond the individual meaning of each piece but into broader topics. Like the class that studied Sandy Skoglund. The teacher could have easily just focused on the bizzare and done some fun little project, but instead she choose to push the students to think about social reality. This took more effort on the teachers part but the students learned something more lasting than an art technique. I want to be like this in my classroom. I hope to teach things that are bigger than art making while also providing lots of opportunities for students to create and explore their own thoughts and ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment